AVM FWHs - for trailer manoeuvring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: AVM FWHs - for trailer manoeuvring Reply with quote
So...

Brought back a tonne of firewood last weekend and found that the back axle gets very irate trying to tightly manoeuvre the trailer in in low (or as I subsequently tested - high) 4x4. The wheels (unsurprisingly) jump and I also get a mechanical 'chink' as the tyres slip and the drivetrain unwinds itself (rear diff checked today and all seems fine, luckily)

Clearly I don't want to ruin the diff or drivetrain and this set me back to thinking about what one of my old friends used to do - for low speed tight manoeuvring on concrete and tarmac he'd disengage the FWHs and carefully, gently use low (now in 4x2) to manoeuvre and prevent wind up.

I'm considering acquiring a set of AVMs and doing the same.

Anyone any experience with AVMs please?

It's been a long while since I've had FWHs fitted (owing to the Fairey set self disengaging off road and leading to me very embarrassingly getting stuck - and then towed out by the cemetery tractor - I wasn't in the cemetery I hasten to add!)

Thanks all.

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They're made in Brazil but that's all I know about them.
You have to be very careful using low ratio in 2 wheel drive because of the risk of transmission damage.
I've got Fairly FWH but some time I intend to remove them. I don't think they help fuel consumption and they have to be engaged regularly.
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alan.

I found no difference in consumption when I removed mine, and the likelihood is that they'd always be engaged apart from the occasional bit of tight manoeuvring.

I'm aware of the risks of damage in low 4x2, it's a case of balancing up the risks between the wind up vs 4x2 risks.

I'll have a further think. And I'm in no rush to need to make a decision. (Sorted for firewood for this winter Very Happy )

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trailer reversing is a doddle with power steering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: