Green Laning and Social Media
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Green Laning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then it's more likely to be the Old Shaftesbury Drove. The Ridgeway is in Wiltshire too but a lot of it either has TRO's imposed or has been turned into bridleways. I presume he phoned a friend for a lift home.
It would be somewhat amusing if it got nicked in the meantime.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:

Why? I don't see anything amusing in anyone stealing someone else's property. Maybe the driver who got stuck should be embarrassed, maybe he'll learn from the experience, but I don't think it warrants losing his vehicle - it's not like he backed it into Bristol harbour like that tv truck the other day! (that was amusing)
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The driver said it was a legal route and not a military one. Judging by the depth of the water, it’s not a route I’d have tried even if I could do legally. There have been quite a few posts online where people have been laning and had vehicle issues which have necessitated leaving it overnight or for a day or two, only to find it’s been nicked or vandalised. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone but it’s a possibility, especially if it has some expensive kit bolted to it.

The route is near Marlborough, where there are quite a few.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The guy has now admitted to being slightly off of the right of way. Unsurprisingly, not gone down well online... and there might even be a TRO on the lane he was meant to be using. Lots of rules broken. Rolling Eyes

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
He’s gone back this morning and managed to recover it. Fortunately for him, the vehicle was in one piece. Unfortunately for responsible 4x4 users of Greenland’s, the damage has already been done... Rolling Eyes

Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff2 wrote:
Alan Drover wrote:

Why? I don't see anything amusing in anyone stealing someone else's property. Maybe the driver who got stuck should be embarrassed, maybe he'll learn from the experience, but I don't think it warrants losing his vehicle - it's not like he backed it into Bristol harbour like that tv truck the other day! (that was amusing)

Because the driver is a stupid idiot who's ruining greenlaning for the responsible majority and deserves what comes to him!!!
He's played right into the hands of the antis.
The TV truck in Bristol Harbour? Utter incompetence (but amusing since nobody was hurt.)
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I take your point, Alan, but I'm not going to find stealing another's Land Rover anything less than extremely seriously under any circumstances - it should be a hanging offence! Evil or Very Mad
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately for the driver, they had a LED light bar and CB stolen from their Landy overnight before they managed to recover it. Perhaps putting their location online asking for help has also identified it to thieves. Rolling Eyes

Another two have posted today asking for help. Each has ventured out alone onto Salisbury Plain and got stuck in the mud. A s****i vitara and a Toyota rav-thing with a home-made drainpipe snorkel... Rolling Eyes

Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's hope the MOD confiscate their "vehicles."
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Let's hope the MOD confiscate their "vehicles."

Sadly, the MoD wardens and police often aren’t around when this happens. If those involved are on a legally driveable right of way and are complying with legislation for vehicle use and not using it in an antisocial mannered breaking MoD bylaws, there’s not a lot the MoD or police can do. However, on the strength of just a picture on social media, we don’t know the circumstances except they went laning alone and got stuck in deep mud.

Sadly too, some people think that a 4x4 makes them invincible, whether or not it has a home-made drainpipe and lightbar tied to it... Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad It’s this that damages greenlaning for the rest of us, together with off-piste activity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Green Laning All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum