Seat belt fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladysmith
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Seat belt fitting Reply with quote
Hi,More advice please!!
I have new inertia seat belts to fit (Exmoor trim) which looks fairly straightforward?? Currently I have one old and damaged inertia belt (driver's side) which should be a simple upgrade and exchange. The passenger side still has the original static belt. (currently not fastening properly) Their is provision with a bit of adapting to use the same fixings point's, my only issue is the upper fixing on the pillar? The drivers side has had the inner pillar drilled for the bolt and has a spreader nut oblong in shape which fits inside the inner channel. It looks a manufactured part for the purpose, (but can't find one on line) and I need one for the passenger side pillar? Most of the bolts are rusty and seized of course??
Any fitting advise would be welcome, many thanks.
Kevin
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that you're referring to part 395587?

Series and Defender NS upper seat belt bracket for upper anchorage. Looks as if they are widely available.

Not a difficult fit. It's a case of ensuring that you have holes (and IIRC a reinforcing piece behind the bolt holes on the hard top bolt points top and bottom of this part - if there is not one supplied, I would make one as this is safety critical, and I have a tendency to over- rather than under- engineer...)

High tensile bolts 8.8 would be the appropriate fixings.

When fitting the inertia reel be sure to get the angle of belt run from the reel to the upper swing bracket straight, as this can cause snagging, poor retraction and wear if it's too far out. Also be sure to mount the reel fully horizontal, as if it's angled, it can cause jamming when trying to put the seat belt on.

This is the part for a hard top / station wagon. The fittings for soft tops and truck cabs are different, and IIRC are listed in the optional parts manual. I don't have that to hand today, but can look tomorrow if you need.

Hope this helps.

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
Ladysmith
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's great many thanks, my series 3 is a hard top so the part number you quoted should be the one, I'll check it out. Thanks for the reply
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: