Door tops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Door tops Reply with quote
Hi all sorry I've been away a while just been generally busy, got a nice load of new parts to get Bluebell road worthy

I purchased some new door tops as my old ones literally fell apart, so I got all new frames, screws etc. I got them unglazed as I wanted to keep the original glass.

My question is the glav to secure the windows in its channels are supposed to be screwed in do I drill holes and secure them with screws or do I use a good bonding material like mastiq/tiger seal instead saving water traps in future?
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Morson, welcome back!

The doortops on my Series 3 had the galvanised strips held in with both self-tapping screws and adhesive mastic-type strips. The window channel which the glass was sat in was also screwed in. The club sell better replacement window channel in the club shop. Very Happy

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome back morson, wondered where you had been.
As Rich says, the best bet in the club plastic window channel and I believe now it can be installed with just adhesive.
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I ordered it all as a job lot, I might go grab me a tube of tiger seal to fix it all in place, I purchased new bottom rad grille to weld on all new shackles and bolts, new check straps, new rear panels for tub, new tub bolts to rear xmember, new thermostat, oil pressure switch (as I broke that), new keys and barrels, bulkhead vent rubbers (still can't find a replacement grills cheap), new clutch kit, oil filter, wing mirrors, exhaust hanging kit, all new brake lines lol some more bits to go tho so this will keep me occupied
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It’ll be like trigger’s broom when it’s finished! Smile

BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The club window channels are made of PVC and don't glue well. It tends to stick initially and then slips quite quickly. I've tried it.

The original felt lined window channels were fitted with very small countersink head self tappers. These are ideal for fitting the club window channel. Line the piece up and drill a small hole through the channel and the thin steel backing frame to suit the self tapper. Take a small phillips head screwdriver and use it to clean out the hole in the plastic channel. This will produce a slight countersink in it. When the screw is tightened the plastic channel is soft enough that the head of the screw will sink into it and end up just sub-flush to the plastic which allows the window glass to slide over it without catching the screw head.

Many tears ago I proved that the channel works on Defender style wind-up windows as well as the Series ones they were designed for.

Member 9329

Land Rovers don't leak oil - They are just marking their territory.
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to Google trigs broom haha not seen that episode but did laugh, do any of you have any bulkhead vend mesh lying around?
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did see some on eBay yesterday Smile

For another laugh, watch Four Candles by the Two Ronnie. Not Landy related at all but very good! Very Happy

Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:

For another laugh, watch Four Candles by the Two Ronnie. Not Landy related at all but very good! Very Happy

Don't you mean "Fork Handles."
Yes , it's a classic along with Ronnie Barker's sermon about a little brown "Richard the Third."
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen fork handles probably one of the funniest gags ever done, ok I'll have a look on ebay last set I saw they went for ridiculous money
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnie Barker's sermon was done in cockney rhyming slang which I omitted from my posting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: