Swingaway Spare Wheel Carrier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Swingaway Spare Wheel Carrier Reply with quote
All,

Has anyone got a swingaway spare wheel carrier on their Landy? I’ve put this in the Defender section as I see more on defenders than series landies but the question applies to all.

I like the ORE one but at £649 that’s not going to happen! Shocked I’m open to recommendations and feedback. The Mantec one looks good too but they’re no longer being made. Rolling Eyes

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got one which is (98% sure) Britpart (the original one was a Bearmach that wasn't attached to the door and had a latch, so was reliant from opening from the outside - not great if you've passengers in the back.)

The Britpart one has a sliding tube. It is quite reliable. I've had it fitted for about 6 or 7 years. We also have one on the SAR ambulance.

Make sure to add a spring washer on the 17mm bolt that secures the slider tube. That should stop it from undoing itself, which is an issue. Any rattles are usually resolved by tightening the hinge pin bolts.

The powder coating is going up well so far.

I'd recommend them.

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That’s great, thanks.

Briart are more reasonably priced and come up for sale on eBay etc regularly, although there’s the risk that they are incomplete so I’ll look at new when I get one. Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: