Would be owner looking at a Landy this weekend!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mightyquin
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Would be owner looking at a Landy this weekend! Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've fancied owning a Landy for years. The nearest I've been is having once had a Rover P4.

I have an old Sherpa campervan that's been off the road for a couple of years and I want to get back into weekend camping trips, mountain biking and the odd festival.

My thoughts have turned to selling the Sherpa and replacing it with a long wheelbase Landy to convert partially to a camper (rear seat/bed one side and a unit with a cooker/sink/coolbox the other).

My budget is limited so I'm looking very much at the bottom end of the market but running and MOT'd examples - I'm not worried if they look tatty as long as they're basically sound and useable.

I've thought either the station wagon or something like an ex army hard top would do the job well. As it happens I've seen a Safari advertised which I can view at the weekend, a Series lll that looks pretty good in the photos (I know photos are very deceptive).

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.
Geoff Che
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum, Mightyquin.

I have a 110 ex-RAF van back and it is an ideal vehicle for touring and sleeping in. I have been from Lands End to John O'Groats in it.

It is a 1988 model with a standard 2.5lt normally aspirated diesel engine. It was quite low mileage when I got it and it has always been reliable.

It cost me 1900 in 2013 and I have probably spent a further 1200 getting it up to the spec I wanted it to be.

I see that you are in Croyden. Be careful about the London emission zone as my Landy is not allowed in as it is an old diesel van back.

Good luck in your search.

Geoff

It is only those who do nothing that make no mistakes.
Mightyquin
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks,

Good point about the emissions, I've input the details and it comes up as being OK.

The one I'm looking at has the Daihatsu 2.8 engine fitted some time ago I think.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Mightyquin.
Non Land Rover engine knocks the value down somewhat. Daihatsu stopped imports to the UK some time ago she make sure you can get spares and that the conversion is properly carried out and insurance premiums will almost certainly be higher.
Personally I would look elsewhere.
Alan Drover
Mightyquin
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan,

I am a little unsure about the engine being the sort of person who prefers originality, but it could mean that I get an affordable (for me!) example, so that could be a benefit.

Would you happen to know if the gearbox is generally kept as original when they do these conversions?
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Mightyquin.
In your case I don't know but many years ago a mate of mine who sold and repaired Land Rovers had a SWB Series 3 pass through his hands that was fitted with that particular Daihatsu engine and the gearbox too
It was dreadful and he was pleased to get rid of it.
Bear in mind the spares situation and the fact that should you want to sell you probably won't get your money back. The Daihatsu engine is not a particularly good one.
The final decision lies with you. Best of luck.
Alan Drover
pcb2286
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon,

I've seen a few Series with 2.8 Daihatsu lumps, and they all had the gearbox changed, too.

Personally, I would favour a full-length hard-top over a Station wagon, if the plan is to sort a camper conversion. The rear load-bed is long enough for most people to sleep already, and the general lay-out is much more of a 'clean slate' to work with. This was my plan B, in the event I was unable to track down a Carawagon.

What version of the P4 did you have? If I ever need to succumb to buying a 'sensible little run-around,' an 80 with the 2.25 petrol engine would be high on the list of options. That's as 'sensible' as I'll tolerate.

Phil
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Mightyquin.
I agree with pcb2286. Get a LWB hard top with a proper Land Rover engine and customize it to your own spec.
If as seems likely, the Daihatsu gearbox is fitted the interior around the transmission tunnel will be hacked about extensively. The one I saw had a large plate covering the gearbox. It would require extensive work to refit a Land Rover engine and gearbox which wouldn't be worth the cost.

. Alan Drover
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome along Mightyquin!

You are in good hands if you listen to Alan and PCB. I agree totally with their view on the Daihatsu Landy you are looking at, you would be far better getting something all Land Rover built. Also if looking for a camper/carawagon style 109, then Geoff's personal experience of using a van back with great success is a good pointer as to what you need to be looking for.

I also see in another of your posts you have a budget of 4k. You can easily get more than what you want in a 109 for that money, and certainly not a cocked about Daihatsu Hybrid! Steer clear is my suggestion of that motor. I bet that dealer has been struggling to get shot of that for a while!! Don't be tempted!!!!
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Mightyquin,

Welcome.

I have driven a Die-hatsu engine landy - you'll be doing yourself a massive favour if you steer clear of them. Please listen to the advice on this - you'll thank everyone here in the long run.

regards

Paul

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Mightyquin
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm getting a bit of a hint to walk away from this one then LOL.

Is the Daihatsu lump really that bad? If it has the Daihatsu gearbox do the LR gear levers work the same way (2/4 wd selector and high/low range) or will it have had some replacement system? I haven't seen the Landy yet so don't know.

I'm torn as it appears in reasonable condition body wise but if I go see it tomorrow I'll be crawling underneath with a torch and going over the bulkhead with a magnet!

I've not seen much that's MOT'd and presentable for less than 5K (admittedly only looking online). Any pointers where to find decent examples at the sub 4K level?
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/109-Land-Rover-Series-3-LOW-MILES-/302221148535?hash=item465dc8c177:g:1u8AAOSw32lYnhje

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Series-3-109-Long-Wheelbase-1980-Diesel-/132091672148?hash=item1ec146f654:g:Qg0AAOSwo4pYeTKH

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Land-Rover-Series-3-109-4-Cyl-in-White-Only-75-000-Miles-Good-Runner-/262844683241?hash=item3d32c393e9:g:OE4AAOSwUKxYiMXe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-110-7-seater-/132089675870?hash=item1ec128805e:g:L7gAAOSwUKxYmk6C

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Land-Rover-Series-2A-Ex-MoD-109-2-25-Petrol-/152426293931?hash=item237d50aaab:g:wXEAAOSw9GhYmFm2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-3-88-III-1979-2-25-Petrol-Hardtop-Good-Solid-Landrover-/152431976052?hash=item237da75e74:g:0u8AAOSwOgdYndbf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-1979-Series-3-200tdi-SWB-88in-/122346385485?hash=item1c7c69b04d:g:zwcAAOSwB09YKKGG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-3-MUST-SEE-Displayed-in-Royal-Logistic-Corps-Museum-to-2008-/232235925322?hash=item361256ff4a:g:vVAAAOSwiONYMdP~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-3-swb-1971-Galvanized-chassis-Bulkhead-/122347717353?hash=item1c7c7e02e9:g:LrgAAOSwTglYkvxp

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Mightyquin.
The Daihatsu engine was not a brilliant one. From what I can remember the one my mate had was somewhat rough and noisy, more so than Land Rover's own diesel. Daihatsu stopped importing vehicles to Europe some years ago so obtaining spares eg clutch parts and gearbox and engine could be fun and games and could involve long periods out of commission.
I agree with the others and think you should walk away from this particular one. Just be patient and look around. They are out there.
If you're going to convert it to a camper then Geoff's suggestion of a plain van type is a very good idea as you will have a blank canvas to start with.
Don't rush into it as you could well regret it.
Alan Drover
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening again.
Forgot to mention in my previous post but why not put a wanted ad in the Sales and Wanted in the forum.
. Alan Drover op
Mightyquin
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update.

I went to look today, it was in an auction at the Footman James car show. Just the normal non turbo Daihatsu engine which looked quite oily underneath. Bulkhead was fine, chassis had been welded, the panels were ok but one of the door tops stuck out leaving a one inch gap at the top. Non standard seats (from a car) would need replacing and there were some small rust holes in the floor pan.

I didn't bid but neither did anyone else! I left before it came up so don't know if there was any reserve.

Thanks for the advice - I was put off by the engine implications.

Next question, what about an ex army hard top?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: