Long time fan, wanting to own...North of Newcastle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewAdventuresOfArthur
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Long time fan, wanting to own...North of Newcastle Reply with quote
Evenin' all.

Am a long time fan of the Land Rover (cannot explain - love the basic machine to do a job, no flair, fancy, etc etc), and recently had a drive in my brother in law's coasty. I want one of my own now!

Am totally new to these cars, so want to know the things to look for when buying my first.

I dont care about scratches, muck, or servicing needed - I just want a structurally sound car with an MOT to get me through until next summer (weather will be nicer to tinker).

The older the better (probably petrol as I hear the diesels a little slower)

Cheers all,

Phil.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum mate. Loads of experience here - just gotta ask and Alan D will tell you what's what Very Happy

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Phil.
There are plenty out there. Bodywork and chassis are far more expensive to repair than mechanicals so check the chassis and bulkhead very carefully. If you find one with a galvanized chassis then so much the better.
Don't worry about asking questions that you think are silly. There's no such thing and we are all here to help.
Welcome back the madhouse (sorry, forum.)
. Alan Drover
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the club and forum! There's lots of good help and advice on here, just ask away!

As for buying, look at loads and be prepared to keep looking! Buy on condition and not age or mileage. Buy one that has been looked after. Check the chassis and bulkhead, everything else is not difficult to change.

Let us know how you get on! Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome along Phil. As all the others have said, Bulkhead and chassis....! THE MOST IMPORTANT!! Cannot be stressed enough. Anything else can be changed. Don't get drawn away by your favourite colour, or whether it be a soft top or truck cab etc.

Choose wisely and enjoy the ownership.

Again, ask any question you like, seriously, on this forum, nothing is silly and you won't get put down for it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and answering any questions you have, but Alan will probably get in before me! Laughing
NewAdventuresOfArthur
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers chaps.

The repetition of "chassis" and "bulkhead" is reassuringly common, so thanks!

Now that ive decided I want one, I just WANT ONE but appreciate the point of "take your time".

Odd question, but if you could pick the best thing about having a land rover,what is it?

Have a splendid weekend gents.

Phil
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Phil.
It's the fun (and sometimes frustration) factor. Land Rovers have to be driven and earlier ones don't rely on all this electronic junk on modern vehicles. The driver is more connected to the vehicle and driving one needs input and awareness from the driver. They are fun to drive but can be frustrating at times but that's all part of the ownership.
Of course there is a good spares back up and you are driving a superior vehicle.
Finally we have an excellent club and help is always available on the forum and no one is ridiculed for lack of knowledge.
. Alan Drover
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The absolute best thing about having a Land Rover is looking out of the kitchen window in the morning and seeing that you have a Land Rover

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: