Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 408, 409, 410  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A pleasant walk to the pub and back home for the dogs and me.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am getting strange messages sometimes on this site like internal server error or bad gate whatever that means and access is slow. Anyone else experiencing this?
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly, no classic cars or any car-related activity today. Instead, a day with the in-laws and sister in-law being entertained by baby knappster.

If I get chance, Iíll keep looking for a possible replacement for my presumably defunct starter motor on the 90.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
I am getting strange messages sometimes on this site like internal server error or bad gate whatever that means and access is slow. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, the forum is slow and Iíve had the same message tonight. Hopefully itís just a temporary issue.

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Rich, I'm pleased it's not me. I'm a complete idiot with this sort of technology. Give me a classic vehicle any day.
No Land Rover or MG activity today. The only piece of machinery I handled today was the Dyson.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
I used my dadís satnav to go to a meeting some years ago. It took me to a town around 20 miles away from where I was meant to be. As a result, I missed the meeting. And I did enter the correct postcode. The voice with a Chinese twang to it should have warned me in hindsight that it might not be a very reliable device... Rolling Eyes

Well, my sat nav isn't Chinese - that could be the cause of your problem. You need a good one and you need to learn how to use it and get to know it - I wouldn't be without mine, and I have successfully relied on it many, many times in London and many other big cities all over the UK and on the continent and in the US. It's not a substitute for being able to read a map when necessary, it isn't the driver, and it's not an excuse to switch your brain off. For years mine has helped me make long journeys on my own on the most minor roads (which is one of my most favourite things to do) reasonably quickly without having to be continually stopping to consult the map. I totally love her .. er, I mean 'it' Embarassed
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was borrowed from my dad. Mrs K has a tomtom satnav and Iíve got a garmin, both of which are very good. We got the lifetime updates for the garmin which is a great help. Unfortunately, the borrowed one with the lack of direction was a necessity at the time. I told my dad I wonít use it again.

I am good at reading a map, but on the occasion in question I didnít get chance to consult the map. It was the last time I relied entirely on a satnav. Iíve always used a map too since.

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It wasn't a personal attack on you, Rich. Just that you see these stories in the press of people following their sat nav over a cliff etc - it's not the sat nav's fault you drove over a cliff for heaven's sake! - so it was just a general defence of their usefulness (in spite of any obvious limitations) Buy your Dad a good one for Christmas (they're a lot cheaper now than when I bought mine) Smile
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like a spanner in your tool box, I treat a satnav as another tool. I check where I'm going before I leave and just use the satnav for the final few streets. That way I don't take the caravan up tiny lanes or through fords and I have never driven off a cliff.

Discovery TD5 ES Auto.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)

Land Rovers don't have dents - They have battle scars.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donít worry Geoff, I wasnít having a go. I know satnavs have their strengths and weeknesses. I usually check a map too, and this particular occasion has reinforced this. I would buy my dad a better satnav but he doesnít drive far enough now to use one. Smile Perhaps he was put off driving by using his own satnav!

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We got back from the in-laws this afternoon. The M4 eastbound was very slow, presumably due to the masses returning to the big smoke. Or should that be the big smokeless now the LEZ is in place? We headed west so the traffic was ok.

We stopped on minchinhampton common to watch a display of kite flying with some very impressive kites. Baby knappster was very impressed. I got home to find something had scraped the front bumper of the asbo Audi whilst it was left on the road in front of Knapp towers. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Perhaps I ought to replace the standard plastic offering with the galvanised steel,job I got from the Newbury sale? Smile

Back to work tomorrow. Rain later in the week too.

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigJohn wrote:
Like a spanner in your tool box, I treat a satnav as another tool. I check where I'm going before I leave and just use the satnav for the final few streets. That way I don't take the caravan up tiny lanes or through fords and I have never driven off a cliff.

I live for tiny lanes! Very Happy And yes, mine did actually take me to an unexpected cliff top once, but I didn't drive over it either - I just enjoyed the view - then took the long way round!
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
Perhaps he was put off driving by using his own satnav!

The crowded roads over much of this country are enough to put anyone off driving. I prefer this:

Rush hour in Limerick, Maine by Geoff172, on Flickr

And yes, I really did take that with my phone standing in the middle of the road at 5pm on a normal weekday. If only, the roads in old England were still like that.

Quote:
Perhaps I ought to replace the standard plastic offering with the galvanised steel,job I got from the Newbury sale?

It would probably lift the back wheels off the ground! Shocked
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigJohn wrote:

My method as well - well tried and tested and it works!

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like I have discovered the reason for the MG's poor running on Easter Saturday. The oil filler cap was loose and obviously upset the closed breathing system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 408, 409, 410  Next
Page 144 of 410

Jump to: