Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 408, 409, 410  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not the 'Geoff effect', it's Murphy's Law and it prevails throughout the known cosmos. Astrophysicists have spent entire careers trying to discover the fundamental law of the universe that will reconcile Einstein's theory of relativity with quantum theory, when it is perfectly obvious to anyone that it is Murphy's Law that explains the irreconcilable contradiction between the two. And Murphy's Law cannot be outwitted - except just occasionally, when He lets it, to keep us trying - because it would be no fun for Him if we just gave up. So there you have it. Any further questions?

PS I wouldn't say no to a second garage, if anyone wants to fund it?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Our English Springer Spaniel celebrated his 8th birthday today. The cocker spaniel had an unbirthday. His proper one is 28th June.
Another Tumbleweed day again. I planted the main crop potatoes this morning and just as I had almost finished strimming (the line ran out and I couldn't be bothered to replace it) it rained. I was expecting a showery afternoon so I didn't plan anything but Murphy was in full swing and it didn't rain.
I see "Storm Hannah" is due for Saturday. I wonder which idiot decided that low pressure areas should have names. I think the Met Office could spend its time better on predicting accurate weather forecasts unlike the usual "there will be showers but not everywhere will have one!" Why can't they tell us where will? I have given up and when I wake up in the morning I look outside to see what's happening.
Edit. Just heard that it was the Irish Met Office that named the storm. Why do we have to use the name?
At least The Book at Bedtime, Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Radio 4, 10.45pm) provides much needed relief and entertainment in this world where the lunatics are very firmly in control of the asylum!
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iím working at the strange ballgame on Saturday Alan, Iíll see what storm Hannah does for it.

Iíve been struggling for time to sort out the 90. Iím hoping that I can get chance to find a starter motor online over the weekend so that I can finally get it fixed. Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happy birthday to your spaniel too Alan! Smile

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
Happy birthday to your spaniel too Alan! Smile

Emrys says thank you, Rich. Laughing
Good luck with the starter motor. My high torque has a 2 year warranty.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iíve been looking the high torque motor from AES. Itís £210 as opposed to the £234 inc vat that paddocks want for the Bosch starter. Iím not tempted by one of the cheap starters from eBay or other suppliers.

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rich, the high torque is £252 including VAT. In my opinion well worth the extra £18.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alan, I think Iíll just go for it. Iíll give them a call later.

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, did the updated starter fit without any modifications? Smile

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On mine the mounting flange is adjustable and had to be rotated to fit. Otherwise no problem. The battery lead reached as did the solenoid wire.
When I was looking at AES website, the diesel starter has a fixed flange and the mechanic who fitted mine said that he fitted one to a diesel Land Rover previously and it went straight on.
Delivery was free for mine.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Between going to and coming back from the pub today petrol and diesel was up yet again by 1p per litre. This price rise applies to the fuel already in the tanks and I wonder what the price of that was when purchased. It's rip off Britain at its best
Let's hope that if and when Pumpwatch is up and running has teeth unlike the gummy gutless other "watch" quangos.
I nearly got home from the pub before Murphy saw me but he was kind and it rained only lightly. Posting this at 3.18pm the sun is trying to shine.
At least the washing I hung out this morning was dry when I took it in before going to the pub. Murphy didn't get that.
Slow Progress
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The sun is shining, and after two false starts leaving the garage (the speedo wasn't working) I have a landy at home. Off to pick my son in it once work is done for the day Smile.

Passed a smash on the way back involving a BMW i3, where the fire service were looking nervously at the damaged battery pack.....came back on the A50 and managed a heady 53mph with overdrive engaged for the first time (loud but worth it)

1976 series 3 109" station wagon 6 cylinder.....the one which has a drink problem!
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well done that 6 pot.
Mine will do an indicated 70mph plus in overdrive top. The 2.5 petrol has the same power as the 6 pot.
Yes, these ridiculous battery thingies will cause problems especially in pile ups.
Slow Progress
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murphyís law at it again!

The only rain shower of the day happened when picking my son up and taking Mrs Progress out for a spin.....and reminded me I donít have a seal between the roof and bodywork. Thankfully it only badly leaked on their side Laughing

I assume you can still get seals, otherwise Mrs Progress wonít be going out in the rain anytime soon, although my 5yr old loved it!

1976 series 3 109" station wagon 6 cylinder.....the one which has a drink problem!
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the rooftop seals are available. Use a good sealing agent. I think there's something called Tigerseal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 408, 409, 410  Next
Page 146 of 410

Jump to: