Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 256, 257, 258  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:

Now, do I dare add a model of it to my Land Rover collection?

The way prices are going it could possibly be the only way you'll be able to afford one!

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yule wrote:
Alan Drover wrote:

Now, do I dare add a model of it to my Land Rover collection?

The way prices are going it could possibly be the only way you'll be able to afford one!

I'd never buy a full size one.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I’ll have to visit the garden centre to see what cat repellent they sell. Apparently, you can buy boxes of lion dung to put down which keeps cats at bay. They don’t like it! Smile

Worth a go. It could prove a roaring success... Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used the 90 for work today. I waved at the two Defenders I saw on my journey to and from work and neither waved back. Rolling Eyes

Mrs K had a bad day with baby knappster at home. Baby knappster managed to fall over and bang her head and then sent the rest of the day giving Mrs K the runaround and generally pushing the boundaries. Then I got told about it in no uncertain terms this evening.

BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We knew it was going to be an advanced vehicle. We also know that the old Defender was selling about 25000 units per year. That is a very small number in modern automotive terms. I'm sure that Land Rover knows it's own markets (probably better than we do). They have decided to produce a visually retro linked vehicle which is nothing like the old Defender. BMW did the same with the Mini and VW did it with the Beetle, both of which have been very successful.

I watched a couple of supposedly independent reviews on youtube, both with the same 90 and 110 stood in a woodland clearing. 2 different presenters giving reviews that were almost identical word for word. Obviously contrived by someone. All the presentation PR spiel has been about how the vehicle looks. It apparently has 52 processors in it and Land Rover has stated that it is the worlds greatest offroad computer.

Be that as it may. I don't particularly dislike the New Defender, or the new Range Rovers, or the Discovery (5). None of them bear much resemblance to their original namesakes and none of them can be treated the way that we do with old Land Rovers. Dents and scratches are just battle scars for us - Not with a shiny 70 grand motor they aren't. Clipping a tree in the woods with a 'New Defender' would be a very expensive mistake!. Someone wrote their car off on the front of my 110 a few years ago. I mean serious damage from a head on collision. I didn't make a claim as there was no damage to the Landy whatsoever. I wonder how much replacement plastic Defender bumpers will cost?

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)

Land Rovers don't have dents - They have battle scars.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone wrote their car off some years ago on the back of my old Land Rover. I wasn't even in it. It was parked! They paid for a new rear crossmember, which was very nice of them as I probably needed a new one anyway Smile

As for the new Defender, I'd rather have a Jeep! - at least it wouldn't look so ridiculous - like an oversized Mini. 'offroad computer'? Yeah, right. No thanks.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would anyone in their right mind want an off road computer? In the middle of nowhere it goes wrong, then what. No off road computer would be able to compete in the Camel Trophy events like the good old turbo diesels did. Mechanical reigns supreme over electronic.
I wouldn't have a Jeep though, but a proper Land Rover.
morson
Really Should Get Out More

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i dont like computer off road, i have a 2017 mitsubishi outlander and the electronic 4x4 is awful, cant beat a good old manual gear engaging it
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any paraskevidekatriaphobics out there?
It was a toss up between stage 3 hedge cutting or a walk to the pub at lunchtime. The dogs voted for the pub and who am I to disagree. Pub it was.
morson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very well trained dogs
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They're from gundog stock and both born in Wiltshire (moonrakers).
I saw 3 unusual vehicles today. The first was an immaculate DAF 33 in the filling station. I commented to the owner that you don't see many about. Second was what looked like a Sunbeam Alpine but sounded like a Sunbeam Tiger, and then at the traffic lights a 1937 350 Velocette motor bike. I knew it was a Velo by the fishtail silencer so I memorized the registration number and checked it on the DVLA site. I gave the rider a thumbs up and he waved back.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We had a bloke remove a tree stump with a stump grinder today. Looking at the area he had to dig with his machine, it was money well spent. And it was not the weather to dig out a tree stump! Smile

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My old Series 3 wrote two cars off when they went into the back of it on different occasions. Each before my period of ownership, I must add!

We went to Sainsbury’s after Mrs K’s visit to the GP this afternoon after the tree stump bloke had finished. Her GP visit wasn’t linked to the tree stump removal though! Mrs K bought some mince pies. And we’re still over three months away from the C-word! 103 days according to the internet! Shocked We’ll soon be seeing crackers, wrap and the ubiquitous tins of chocolates with too many toffees in! Rolling Eyes

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, I’d vote for the pub too! Smile

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
....and Easter eggs and creme eggs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 256, 257, 258  Next
Page 225 of 258

Jump to: