Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 274, 275, 276  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff2 wrote:
Alan Drover wrote:
I give both of my vehicles a good blast now and again. It does them good.

... and good fun too! - especially overtaking more modern diesel Land Rovers Smile

Good fun until you look at the fuel gauge on a V8! Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Mrs. D came back from Tesco yesterday with the 4th jar of Marmite XO. I wonder if the six month trial period will be extended.

I’ve yet to get some. I’ll see if the in-laws can pick me up some. Their Tesco is a bigger store than ours.

Alan, they’ll probably only stock it in the Andover store to satisfy local demand! Wink

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was an article in the bbc news this morning about electric cars being potentially given green number plates so that they can be identified from normal engined cars. This would then let them use bus lanes, have free parking and other perks. The bus drivers union weren’t happy at sharing their bus lanes.

How long until a few members of joe public copygreen plates to get these benefits? It would have to be backed up by some number plate recognition technology or similar.

The government were saying its one of the ways to increase the 1% of cars which are electric.

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's a good idea. You'd know which cars not to park next to in case they spontaneously burst into flames. And for car thieves, they'd know which cars not to bother stealing (and for those who don't seem to recognise it, this is sarcasm) It is also officially mandated virtue signalling, which is only a short step away from that highly desirable goal of a Communist Chinese-style social credit system - by all means bring it on - NOT!!! Evil or Very Mad
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must admit I’m not infavour of it. I see no reason why those who can afford an electric car should get benefits that the rest of us don’t. Congestion will still exist, and the more polluting-considered cars will still be sat in queues, doing what they do.

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Green = naive!!!
The minerals required to make the batteries are mined from the Himalayas area and are damaging the habitat.
I deserted my current watering hole today. Since the new manageress took over it has been less welcoming so I decided to try my previous watering hole which is also under new management. What a difference. A friendly welcome and atmosphere and more punters. I'll give it a go Saturday.
The replacement diff will be here tomorrow and the faulty one collected. I spoke with Phil Bashall at Dunsfold this morning and he told me that he tried fitting the diff into an axle and it went in no problem and the bearings are central. He's going to give the supplier a talking to. Dunsfold have been very quick in sorting out this problem.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, these electric cars aren’t as green as everyone thinks. The just look at the emissions and not the bigger picture. Then there’s the source of the electricity which it uses... Rolling Eyes None of that with a proper Landy! Smile

Baby knappster’s been off of nursery today with a bad cough and cold. But she’s been getting better as the day goes on. She’s having forty winks at the moment so I’ll wash up and do some house work... Smile

Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
Perhaps a warning notice to owners of ingenium diesels advising them to give it a good drive regularly might reduce issues being reported.

We run a fleet of Fiat vans (yes, I know) and there is a really useful warning light on the dash that lets you know that you need to give it a good run up the duel carriageway to clear the DPF. It also tells you in about 3 different places in the owners manual.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suspect the instructions are also in the Ingeniim engined Land Rover manual too but the sort of buyer of them certainly won't bother to read it and if they did it would be beyond their comprehension.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don’t think any of the users of our cars read the manual! Smile

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yule wrote:
We run a fleet of Fiat vans (yes, I know) and there is a really useful warning light on the dash that lets you know that you need to give it a good run up the duel carriageway to clear the DPF.

A car that tells you it needs you to take it for a run? It's just like having a dog Confused
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just after 9 this morning the faulty diff was collected and the replacement arrived about 3.30pm. The problem was sorted in 4 working days. Excellent service from Dunsfold.
Out with the dogs this morning I spotted an extremely rare car, a Citroen SM. It's a 2 door futuristic car for the time (this one was 1973 suffix L)with a V6 Maserati engine fitted. I can't remember the last time I saw one. It wasn't a great success. This one was lhd.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good service indeed Alan. Worth knowing.

I saw a Citroen XM in Sainsbury’s at the weekend. This was a dark blue one. The first I’ve seen for a long time. I saw it parked in the driveway of a house a little further along the canal from Knapp towers. Not my ideal car though!

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bumped into a bloke I used to work with in Sainsbury’s after work. He retired in 2012 but I’ve seen him around occasionally until around two years ago when he has been working away with his new job. His opening line to me was “how grey have you gone?!” Rolling Eyes

You can go off of people... Rolling Eyes

Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Just after 9 this morning the faulty diff was collected and the replacement arrived about 3.30pm. The problem was sorted in 4 working days. Excellent service from Dunsfold.
Out with the dogs this morning I spotted an extremely rare car, a Citroen SM. It's a 2 door futuristic car for the time (this one was 1973 suffix L)with a V6 Maserati engine fitted. I can't remember the last time I saw one. It wasn't a great success. This one was lhd.

Many years ago I knew a bloke who was restoring a SM. Huge piece of kit it was. I was amazed by the fact that the plugs were buried in the middle of the engine. He was rather upset when he found that someone had removed one of the plugs and disappeared with it. I couldn't work out how he got the [Censored] thing out in the first place.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 274, 275, 276  Next
Page 257 of 276

Jump to: