Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 325, 326, 327 ... 356, 357, 358  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read in this morning's paper that JLR are running out of spares because of the lurgy. It just goes to show how reliant they are on cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish. Why on earth can't things be manufactured in this country instead of having to rely on Chinese junk?
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
I read in this morning's paper that JLR are running out of spares because of the lurgy. It just goes to show how reliant they are on cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish. Why on earth can't things be manufactured in this country instead of having to rely on Chinese junk?

... said everyone in the world about everything. We may run out of iPhones - Oh God! How will we cope?
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or we’ll run out of cheap copies of most things we buy? Which is what the Chinese are also known for. Smile

According to the weather guess, we’re getting another deluge of rain over the weekend. Not good, especially for those who were flooded last weekend. Sad I drove to the east side of Oxford today and there were lots of flooded fields and the like.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rich, the problem is that a lot of stuff the Chinese copied is not made anywhere else now, after their government subsidised their industries and undercut all competition and drove it out of business. Did you know that the Chinese now produce virtually all the medicinal drugs in the world (and not just the fentanyl)? - even India's large drugs industry relies on China for raw materials. The USA no longer produces any antibiotics at all itself - its armed forces would in a conflict be dependent on its likely enemy for them! And yes, the quality of it all does decline once the Chinese have an effective monopoly.

On a lighter note, talking of 'the weather guess', to be fair, the BBC online weather for Leicester today said it would hail at 3pm and, sure enough, at 3pm precisely this afternoon it did precisely that. Amazing!
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very unusual day today......it didn't rain!!!!
On my walk to the pub lunchtime an 11 plate 110 utility Station Wagon, white with a black roof and towing a trailer, flashed its very bright LED headlights at me and the driver waved. I've no idea who he was as I don't remember ever seeing the Land Rover before and I couldn't see the driver properly. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.
Pub was very quiet as the LPG system sprang a leak last night. It's been made safe but a new part is awaited so no food.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, after the headlight flash I’m surprised you’ll recognise the 110 again. The headlights probably had an upgrade.

I refuelled at the local Tesco again after work. Diesel is stil £1.21.9 p per litre (why do they add the .9 pence to it??? Confused ) I used the asbo Audi for work as i was later leaving for work due to trying to get some ear drops into little knappster. It’s akin to trying to cuddle a hungry tiger! Surprised

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I buy 5 litres of petrol for the strimmers etc and it has to be exact for the 2 stroke mixture. If say it's £1.249 per litre, 5 litre costs £6.25, not £6.245 so it's another Great British rip off. It only works in multiples of 10 litres and I can't demand 1/2p change because that denomination was abolished many decades ago.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Pub was very quiet as the LPG system sprang a leak last night. It's been made safe but a new part is awaited so no food.

I once drove all the way from Leicestershire to somewhere north of Beverley in Yorkshire with a replacement part for a pub's cooker - I guess they were desperate for it!

[Musical interlude] This is to remind Alan of a time before everything was made in China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi35yMzUuVg
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Chinese probably make the petrol pumps too!

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A blast from the past Geoff; not forgetting AEC, Atkinson, ERF, Foden, Guy, Scammell, Seddon etc.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Proper old school trucks! Some I remember, some I don’t. Smile

morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i saw a 101 yesterday in salisbury mcdonalds car park, painted blue and all edges orange, it was being used as a chipper as it had a log chipping machine being towed
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
Proper old school trucks! Some I remember, some I don’t. Smile

I forgot Austin, Bedford, Commer, Dodge, Ford and Leyland. All alive and well in my younger days. 101's are a bit of a rare sighting nowadays.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree, I only ever see a 101 in magazines or at shows.

We had a trip to the duck farm again today, aka slimbridge WWT. Little knappster entered the south west regional puddle-jumping championships. The centre’s 110 was parked in the reserve. Afterwards, we went to Rodborough Common for an ice cream. I saw three 110 station wagons whilst we were there and a very tidy late Series 2A 109 hardtop with rear windows, full length roof rack and bull bar. It looked like a retro over landing Landy. Smile

Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to get through Worcester today to get to my parents place on the Herefordshire border - they have been virtually cut off for the last week. The only vehicle I saw plough through one particular flood was a blinged up SWB Defender. Not really being driven carefully through the water, but it got through nevertheless. I was in the car so had to take the longer way around Sad

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 325, 326, 327 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Page 326 of 358

Jump to: