Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 441, 442, 443 ... 459, 460, 461  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff2 wrote:

I wonder when the last person called Horace died Smile )

There was someone in my childhood village called Horry which I presume was short for Horace and in either the Beano or Dandy there was a cartoon character called Hungry Horace.
Maybe Horace will make a comeback. It's certainly less strange than some of the names parents give their kids nowadays. They probably scar the child for life.
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
my wifes grandad was named horace
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My youngest daughter's second name is Horatia, but I don't think that counts (at least not for scarring purposes anyway!)
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've heard that my sporting activity is exempt from lurgy restrictions. Better than nothing I suppose.
Our new puppy has had his tail legally docked. On the docking certificate a gun license is needed to have it done.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the point of all the conditions on docking if the dog can be almost immediately passed to someone who will not use it as a working dog (which, from everything you've said about yourself and your dogs on here, I assume you won't be)? Just asking.
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The entire litter was docked long before the breeder knew where the individual puppies were going. They could all have been going to working homes.
Anyway it makes them look a lot neater and saves the tail being damaged when out in the country where ours go.
I can't see any harm in it.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure the dog will have a happy home with you, Alan (just as I'm sure ours would be only too happy to be taken to the pub regularly! - as it is, she has to settle for her share of my frequent bad habit of slapping cheese on oatcakes late of an evening - she even answers to 'Gromit' now as well as her own name! Laughing )
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
In my early childhood I didn't know exactly where Keynsham was, but thanks to the ads on Radio Luxembourg for its most (in)famous resident with his Infra Draw System guaranteed to win the strange ballgame pools, I could spell it.

In between Brizzle and Bath, Alan. Smile

As for the new vs proper defender, how about putting livestock, hay or tools in the back and seeeimg which copes best?!?! Smile

As for Horace, I’m out on that one. Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
As for the new vs proper defender, how about putting livestock, hay or tools in the back and seeeimg which copes best?!?! Smile

Let's be fair. I suggest a new test - see how many spoilt Chinese foreign students you can fit in each in the comfort to which they are accustomed - the results would not be a single figure but a range, from drunk to sober.
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took the dog out in the Land Rover this morning for a country walk while Mrs. D puppy sat. On the way I went to the local garden machinery shop for strimmer line. A 2006 Ford pick up pulled up and the driver asked if the Land Rover was for sale. He'd noticed the galvanized chassis which I told him was fitted 23 years ago.
The dog walk was along a bridleway with overhanging trees. I heard aircraft but couldn't see because of the trees. When I got home Mrs. D asked if I'd seen the flypast. That was what I heard but could see nothing.
Puppy sat this afternoon.
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:

I've known unmentionable agricultural related "items" bring carried in farmers' Land Rovers, totally unsuitable for the new thingy.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’ve been cycling to work for the last ten days and my time to do the ten miles each way is going down a bit. Very Happy It’s taking some dedication to get up at 0545hrs in the dark though. And a dopy driver nearly knocked me off on m way home today by turning out of a junction into my path... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I saw a nice 110 double cab and 110 tipper on my way home though. Smile

Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I intend to remove the freewheeling hubs so after a struggle I managed to order the relevant parts from Blanchards, then puppy sitting.
The dog and I walked to the pub lunchtime. Only 2 Land Rover products seen, a prefix N tricked up Discovery and a normal one with a prefix R plate. I did see a Triumph TR4 too. Mrs. D puppy sat.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The weather this week has been great for cycling. Nice and warm. Very Happy I saw a nice Td5 90 station wagon with a Land Rover Run plaque from a Landy event on the bumper on my way home.

I missed the zoom call as I was late finishing again. That’s every night this week... Rolling Eyes

Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's the time of year to renew the insurance on the Land Rover and MG. The renewal for the MG always arrives early. The premium is as before and I've never had to query it, unlike the Land Rover insurance which is always a battle. I asked the MG insurer for a quote on the Land Rover and was pleasantly surprised. The quote is with the same insurance company that does the MG and is a very similar policy so I reckon I'll take it up. I have been with this broker for the MG for over 30 years and the premium wasn't increased when I declared the Stage 2 engine mods.
Now, if I do, the Land Rover insurance company will do their utmost to persuade me to stay with them so I have the simple answer. I say that I have just sold the vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 441, 442, 443 ... 459, 460, 461  Next
Page 442 of 461

Jump to: