Snow!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Snow! Reply with quote
According the weather forecast, were due quite a bit this week! Very Happy

Looks like only a colleague and myself will be the only ones to drive into work then as weve each got a Landy... Cool

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The weather forecast is about as credible as men from Mars. I'll just wait and see.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blimey Rich, two posts in one day and both with a subject title! Wonders will never cease!
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The tumbleweed made me do it Adie! Wink Smile

Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
WARNING!!!!!!!

6 flakes of snow hit the town hall steps here in Redditch today - as a result, schools have closed, roads have become littered with abandoned vehicles, people are fleeing for their very lives! Members of staff were leaving work early to avoid the 'potential' calamity that was about to engulf our county.

Latest report; there is a little sleet coming down, and a keen breeze blowing down the road. It is just before 2000hrs. Roads are still clear and traffic is moving well.

Anyone else's life being affected by this weather?

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Drove a 40 mile round trip this afternoon through the back lanes of Oxfordshire to pick up a chainsaw in the Landy. Chose that route as 35 mph max speed on the A34 is not good plus all the nervous drivers in the snow made me choose the scenic route!....However the draft through the canvas just by my right ear caused my ear to freeze, the constantly opening passenger window let out any heat I had and let more cold in and my hands (with gloves!) were totally numb within 20 mins! The heater did manage to demist about 4 inches of the windscreen though Laughing

To say I was glad to be home is an understatement! Albeit from the cold not the driving conditions!
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Our snow is powdery and more like sand. Im tempted to take a bucket and spade outside but Im off to work shortly...

Still, the drive to work will be quieter than normal. In the words of Gene Hunt, fire up the 90! Very Happy

Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't take my Land Rover for a drive in the snow as there is a loss of hydraulic fluid in the clutch and I can't go it done until March 12th. Still I won't have to wash the salt off.
Fair bit of snow here but it is powdery and there are mini snow drifts in the garden. At this time. 10.30pm snow is easing. Only a small amount to brush off the greenhouse compared to what there was at 7pm.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
In the words of Gene Hunt, fire up the 90!

Wasn't that 'Quattro'? Laughing

Imagine him in that camel coat in a 90!! Surprised
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Took my good lady to work this morning and collected her just after lunch.

Question 1 - Why do Discovery Drivers think that they are invincible? I had 2 of them come blasting past me in the snow - absolutely covered my poor little Viva in slush, and disappeared into the gloom far too rapidly in my opinion.

Question 2 - Whilst driving to work this morning, a friend of mine (in his Volvo XC) had to brake for the car in front. No sooner had he done so, a Range Rover piled into the back of his car. The driver of the RR said that he didn't think it would take so long for him to stop as he has all sorts of brake assistance and traction control etc on his spec'd up motor. The question here is; exactly how big a knob is the driver of the RR?

Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Paul, why didn't you take the Land Rover?
The Range Rover story reminds me of an article I recently read in the paper. Someone bought a brand new fancy Volvo (don't remember which one) and 4 hours later he wrote it off by running into the back of a decelerating artic. His excuse was that it had predictive braking. He didn't read the manual which stated that the system works only between 3 & 35 mph. I don't trust any of that unnecessary electronic junk. Only the driver controls the vehicle, nothing else does.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny you should say that Paul! I took my good lady to work at the Hospital this morning in the Series 3 and picked her up again about 3pm. Half way home about 4pm the snow was coming down heavy again and we ended up side by side at a junction with an old Disco with what by the sounds of it had a 5.9 Cummins in it! Talk about impatient to show of his power house!!

Eventually we reached a hump back bridge and a BMW was all over the place trying to get over it, so Mr Disco Impatient decides to drive on the grass verge and pavement to get past on the inside only to get stopped by two parked cars that had, had a shunt! Laughing He then had to wait for everyone to pass!...who obviously were not going to let him in!! What a cock!
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On Meridian local news just now 4x4 owners are being praised for helping medical staff get to patients in their homes and transporting staff to hospitals. In a few weeks time that will all be forgotten and we'll be vilified again!
My mate's wife on seeing my Land Rover that she wouldn't want to ride in THAT! I replied that when I saw her stuck in mud or snow I'd wave and drive on. Sudden change of attitude they.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alas Alan I couldn't use Henry - I have the same problem as you - Henry is leaking clutch fluid and isn't drivable until I fit the new master and slave cylinders Crying or Very sad Never happens in the middle of summer does it? Always in the middle of winter when you need the motor on the road.

Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back in the 1950's when I was a youngster and there seemed to be more snowy winters, the time honoured way of freeing a stuck vehicle, provided it wasn't too deeply stuck was by "rocking" it which was by alternatively engaging first and reverse and rocking it free. Get it right and it could be reversed or driven forwards whichever way the driver wanted to go.
A few winters ago after attending a mate's funeral the mourners adjourned to the nearby pub and someone got their BMW stuck in the snowy car park. Without assistance I "rocked" it free not easy with an automatic, and even reversed it out which was the way I wanted to go. I don't think the observers had seen it done before.
Paul, I'm getting my new slave and master fitted but it can't be done until March 12th. The leak was discovered after I'd sorned the MG because the tax ran out at the end of February and as it's eligible for free tax on April 1st it wasn't worth taxing it at 245 and losing 2 months refund. Didn't tax it for 6 months as a surcharge is payable but is not refunded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: