New member wanting to buy his first Defender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KNW101
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: New member wanting to buy his first Defender Reply with quote
Hi guys n gals

Joined yesterday so take it easy on me !

I've decided I'd like to pick up a early Defender as a bit of a part time work horse, but also to tinker around with.

Looking at spending around £5k. Not overly fussed if a 90 or 110, so opinions welcome.

Any buying advice, common faults, things to look out for are all very welcomed also.

Thanks in advance folks

Keith
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Keith.
Petrol or diesel? The 2.5 petrol is a very good engine, the N/A diesel is sluggish but goes on for ever and the pre 200 Tdi turbo did have problems but most will have been sorted by now.
The chassis and bulkhead are the main items to scrutinize as they do rust. It's cheaper to buy one with a good chassis and bulkhead as it's cheaper to sort out engine and transmission problems. There are plenty out there so take your time and buy with your head,not your heart.
Let us know how you get on and ask away. We're all here to help.
KNW101
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan
Thanks for that. I think Diesel, as you mention, the engines seem to be solid that go on for ever.

I recently had some work done at an independent Land Rover, BMW and Merc garage, and spotted a couple of Defenders in the parking area. Cut a long story short, one was for private sale by one of the mechanics.

Its an H reg, Diesel, 180k on the clock. The chassis has been galvanized, new shocks and springs, new foot well plates, and seemed pretty solid. I think one of the doors needs a bit of rust attention along the bottom. Their was no interior to speak of and the the exterior had been somewhat crudely hand brush painted green.

Price.. £3200 inc a new 12 mot.

On papaer.. thoughts?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Keith.
If the chassis is galvanized and the bulkhead sound, it appears to be a good buy but I would get underneath and check the chassis and check the bulkhead as well. Doors can be replaced.
Let us know how it goes.
KNW101
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again Alan. Will get on my back and underneath and give it a look.

Anything in particular to look out for? What are the signs of something untoward?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keith, check the top of the chassis especially at the rear and the footwells inside. Remove any covering and if the vendor objects, walk away.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the club and forum!

Good luck with the search. Alan has given good advice on what to check. Donít forget to check chassis numbers match as defenders are easily and frequently stolen. Likewise, do an hip check. Once youíve got one, spend well on security measures too.

There are loads around so take your time finding one youíre happy with. Buy on overall condition and not necessarily age or mileage.

Let us know how you get on! Donít forget some pictures once youíve got a new Landy!

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Keith, welcome.

Always keep your eyes open and don't listen to your heart - it usually lies to you.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome along KNW101

I am a series 3 man myself but I have looked at coil sprung Land Rovers in the past with a view to buy. I have looked at their high and low points and finally came to the conclusion that the 1994-2006 300 Tdi is probably the best Land Rover ever built with regards refinement, reliability, on/off road driving, power and torque whilst still retaining a good level of hands on home maintenance capability.
The 200 Tdi is also good but not quite as refined and with less torque. They are also older so spares start to become more of an issue than with the 300.

For £5k one should be quite easily be obtainable, and for me if I entered 90/110 ownership at that price I would not consider a previous incarnation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: