Removing Speedo Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sw67
Newcomer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Removing Speedo Cable Reply with quote
Hi,

At the speedo end, my cable is different to that shown in the manual (that one has a simple lever to press for removal). My cable has a white plastic fitting as per the image at[http://www.shop.allrad-klassik.de/Tachowelle-4-Zylinder-Serie-III-90623054].

It's really difficult to get in about to but the plastic seems solid (no lever action) wherever I try to press it. Any advice on removal greatly appreciated!

The speedo is a Jaeger 1536

Cheers, sw67[/url]
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best of luck with that. My green V8 has the 'simple lever' kind and I had to break the 'simple lever' off just to get the damn thing on, never mind off. Sorry I can't help. Hope someone else can (and I'll be interested)
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure it's the correct one? I bought mine from Dunsfold and it had the clip at the speedometer end.
Tip. Before fitting the new cable, remove the inner, spray it with a silicone spray (I used Drylube) replace it in the outer and hang it up overnight, gearbox end down. Then pull the inner out about 6 inches, wipe it and replace. When fitting the cable don't follow the mountings for it but route it with sweeping curves and use cable ties. I did this a few years ago and still have a steady speedometer needle. The standard mounts cause a very sharp bend at the speedometer drive and this is where they usually break because the outer cable frays and water gets in.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought mine at Dunsfold too, and it's the correct part. All very good advice, but nothing to do with the actual problem.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, since BT have ruined what would otherwise have been a very productive day for me (obviously Smile ) (see Tumbleweed thread elsewhere in General Chat) and I have just been sitting here twiddling my thumbs and fuming, I have just been up in the attic to my parts emporium and located a speedo cable with the type of clip I believe is pictured in the link you posted. It has two 'legs' on only one side, right? Push down (towards the middle where the cable passes through) on the other side, not the side with the split 'legs', and pull the cable off - don't squeeze the clip from both sides or squeeze the 'legs' together - that won't release the clip. That's how the one I'm looking at works anyway (I had intended to try it on a spare speedo I have but, in view of your difficulties - and my past difficulties - I decided not to risk it!)
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having thought about this I don't remember my cable having a clip either. See if it fits the speedometer, I think mine just pushed on firmly. The clip has probably been deemed unnecessary. Dunsfold would have supplied the correct one.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Assuming you are addressing me Alan. The cable in question has now been on for going on 20 years and the needle's been steady as a rock until quite recently actually, but I'm not about to replace it unless it gets worse. It did fail altogether once not long ago on a bumpy drive across the Yorkshire Moors (at V8 speeds) but I just pushed it from the engine side of the bulkhead and it reconnected ok. I was pretty peeved having gone to the trouble all those years ago to source the correct Genuine part from Dunsfold to find I couldn't get it to fit, and I struggled with it for a long time before realising the only way would be to 'adapt' it - I remember it well even now (and so actually does my wife!) If I do have to do the job again sometime in the not too distant future, it will be 'interesting' to see how it goes this time. I've had no such trouble changing the cable on the other V8, and yet I'm sure the green one has its original speedo. Go figure - who knows?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff was addressing sw67 too. When I replaced the cable several years ago I found it just pushed on to the speedometer.
Sw67,where did you buy your cable?
Error in post 2. My new cable didn't have a clip. Missed out the "not."
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe someone stuck the OP's cable in place with superglue - it's tempting. My green V8's choke cable has been held in place at the cab end with Araldite for about 20 years - since this 'temporary repair' never gave out, I eventually used the new cable I bought on the other V8 when it needed one.
sw67
Newcomer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Speedo Cable Reply with quote
Sorry folks for starting this thread and seemingly running away! I've set my account up to receive notifications when someone posts in a thread which I've posted in. I didn't receive any notifications so didn't call back in to the thread. Belated thanks for the responses! The other end wasn't much fun either. There were and still are only two screws holding the plate on (I now have Allen screws though).

sw67 wrote:
Hi,

At the speedo end, my cable is different to that shown in the manual (that one has a simple lever to press for removal). My cable has a white plastic fitting as per the image at[http://www.shop.allrad-klassik.de/Tachowelle-4-Zylinder-Serie-III-90623054].

It's really difficult to get in about to but the plastic seems solid (no lever action) wherever I try to press it. Any advice on removal greatly appreciated!

The speedo is a Jaeger 1536

Cheers, sw67[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: