series 3 CKD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markgriff
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: series 3 CKD Reply with quote
hi, I wonder if someone can help.
I have an 88in series 3 registered 9/81 with a 9 didget chassis number starting 903, which I understand is a CKD rhd. I have found a manufacturers name, and Australia on the top of the radiator, but I am struggling to find info on CKD land rovers. I am interested to know how, and why they returned to the uk.
thanks. Mark.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Mark.
In James Taylor's book "Land Rover Series 3 Specification Guide" there's a section on CKD Land Rovers.
The SWB's were built between 1973 and 1981 but not as many as the LWB's. The paint colours on all Oz Land Rovers were different from UK ones due to local supply and all 4 cylinder petrol engines had an 8:1 compression ratio and after 1976 were fitted with a Solex 36IVE carburettor to comply with local emission rules. In addition there were badges on the bottom of the nearside front wing indicating the engine types. This was from 1980 onwards. These badges indicated that the 5 bearing engine was fitted.
Yours must have been imported back to the UK by a previous owner. When was it registered in the UK?
It would be worth contacting British Motor Industry Heritage Trust at Gaydon to see if they can provide any more information on your particular vehicle.
markgriff
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan, thanks for your reply. My land rover was registered in sept 81. there are no badges on the wing, and it has a zenith carb. But it has an mod recon engine. I don't know if they came complete with carb.i don't have a copy of the book that you quoted, but I did find some info in Land rover 60 years of the 4x4 workhorse. mainly about the change in chassis number format from 71-75 and 75-79.
I also ordered a heritage certificate today. Now just wait and see.
thanks again. Mark.
markgriff
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan, thanks for your reply. My land rover was registered in sept 81. there are no badges on the wing, and it has a zenith carb. But it has an mod recon engine. I don't know if they came complete with carb.i don't have a copy of the book that you quoted, but I did find some info in Land rover 60 years of the 4x4 workhorse. mainly about the change in chassis number format from 71-75 and 75-79.
I also ordered a heritage certificate today. Now just wait and see.
thanks again. Mark.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Mark - you sure you're not from New South Wales Smile

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
markgriff
Newcomer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
morning Paul, no the south of Wales, uk. honest.

Its seems that there is very little known about series 3 CKD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: