Greetings One And All From South London/Surrey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Greetings One And All From South London/Surrey Reply with quote
OK. So, I've done it. Wanted a Landy since my late teens, early 20s. Then life got in the way. Or rather life and a very limited bank balance. Fast forward some 30 years and I'm now the proud owner of a 1987 Defender. I say '87, but that's only the 'paperwork.' She's been rebuilt from the ground up. New galvy chassis, 200 Tdi engine, leather interior, ICE with reverse camera, TD5 console and rear door. M3 pearl white with 18" Kahn Defend wheels. The whole resto is only 4 years old. Yes, I know. it's an archetypal pimp mobile, but I make no apology for it Very Happy .

I've read time and time again on this forum that there are no 'stupid questions,' you haven't heard mine....yet!

So, here goes. Can anyone advise on an 18" wheel (width not an issue) that I can use as a spare? Currently has a standard 16" jobbe.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum Gerry and you're absolutely correct. No question is a silly one here.
Unfortunately I can't help in this case but there is almost certainly someone who can. Presumably you can't get a fifth Kahn wheel to match the other 4. It will be illegal to use the 16" spare with 3 18".
You have a very smart vehicle. I hope it's well thief proofed but don't give details.
Gerry
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan, thanks for the prompt response. Unfortunately a 5th Kahn would be quite cost prohibitive.

Looking forward to learning/sharing I boo with the group and possibly find out if there are any club members in the locale.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gerry, to be legal the spare wheel must be the same size and profile as the others although space saver wheels surprisingly aren't but they are speed limited to 50mph. I don't think you could get away with an odd sized spare though.
Maybe someone could clarify this.
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum.
I too would go with the spare wheel being identical with the others. For me, identical tyres too.

So probably will, your insurance company (don't give them a reason not to pay out if needed).

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Gerry,

Not the usual Landy that we find on here - makes a refreshing change. Can't help with the wheel thing I'm afraid - Alan has already said it is illegal to run with 1 corner different to the others and that's all I had to offer.

regards, Paul

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Gerry
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the feed back gents. Looks like a Kahn Defend or similarly sized 18".

Thanks Paul. I did rather assume (wrongly?) That the club would be heavily biased towards the off road scene. Tried it on both 4 and two wheels and loved it but not sure I'd be comfortable taking my Landy across the rough stuff! Yeah. Wimping out Embarassed
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gerry, this club is not one that's heavily involved in serious off roading but much more in non damaging events that any Land Rover can take part in. There are pay and play venues for the serious off roader. I don't take mine off roading much nowadays even though it's fully capable of doing so without any of the modifications that some owners deem to be essential even for green laning. Anyway the byways in Hampshire are getting narrower and narrower because the hedges are no longer cut. My Land Rover is nowhere near as upmarket as yours but it's been on the club stand several times at a show and there's no discrimination in this club. All are welcome irrespective of what Land Rover they own.
I'm not sure what the new MOT rules stand on spare wheels but an examiner may well have something to say about an odd one.

Last edited by Alan Drover on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We are about all things Land Rover - on road & off road.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Gerry
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice to know 're club. Good call Alan wrt MOT. I failed to consider that salient point.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the club and forum.

Sounds like youíve got a fantastic Landy. As mentioned, spend out on some decent security. And ask away if youíve got a question.

As for the spare wheel, it is worth getting a full sized spare. Running your Defender with a smaller wheel and tyre will damage the transmission aside from any MoT issues.

Donít forget a pic or two of the Landy! Very Happy

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Gerry and welcome.

The spare wheel is still not part of the MOT (which is probably how your PO got away with it) - see 5.2.2 Road Wheel Condition:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-5-Axles-Wheels-Tyres-and-Suspension.html#section_5.2

But, as others have said, actually using it would be illegal, damaging and possibly dangerous - in short, useless, although I suppose in a real emergency it might be better than no wheel at all! I would not skimp on any wheel you might ever have to use - remember, your tyres are the only part of your whole wonderful vehicle that actually connect to the road or other surface you're travelling on! You don't need them to be the weak link.
Gerry
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff2. I must admit I wasn't going to use it as I was aware of the illegality at one corner but wasn't about MOT requirements. So, thank you for the web address.

Security has been mentioned by quite a few of you. I'm also aware that Landy theft has gone up by some 40 odd percent recently. No doubt driven by the fact that they're no longer produced.

I use a Stoplock steering wheel lock. This being picked because of the 5+ minute break in time plus the need for a 'noisy' drill.

Do any of you recommend anything else? I guess the usual such as alarm, tracker....

One last question. Is this the correct place to post these questions or is there a more appropriate page?

<file:\\E:\Users\g.manoharan\Documents\GM\Car & Bike\LR_1.jpg>

[/img]

Not sure I've got the image uploading cracked. Hit img button and pasted link....
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't post images to the forum directly from your computer - you have to use an image hosting site (I use flikr) and post the BB code from there, and then your photo will magically appear here.

As for where to post questions, look down the list of the various areas of the forum and pick the one you think the most appropriate for your question and where you think it's most likely to be seen and answered - the only hanging offence is 'double posting', putting the same question in more than one place at the same time, which just wastes members' time reading it twice thinking it might be something different.

Last edited by Geoff2 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would suggest a tracker Gerry as your Land Rover sounds very desirable and a visible deterrent too.
There is a section of the forum for 90/110 queries so that's the place for future questions otherwise they might possibly not get answered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: