Diesel - different brands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  

All Diesel's the same
Yes, it is
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
No, it's not
86%
 86%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 43

AndrewMBaines
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Diesel - different brands Reply with quote
I'm running an 03 Td5 90 SW so fancy engine management etc etc. I've noticed quite a difference between different diesels and want to see if anyone else has found the same:

Jet - big mistake - black clouds on starting, never had that before.

Shell (premium) - much quieter than normal, better acceleration (it's all relative!) bought by accident as Shell are clearing stocks of their old premium ready for Optimax diesel.

Anyone else notice any difference?

By the by, I've also had a software update to try and fix a minor problem starting a cold engine on a warm day. It seems to have worked wonders.
Drew 5292

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andrew,
If a pedant were to answer your question he would probably say they are all the same, "Heavy Oil", but this would be to ignore the varying standards of refinement employed by the oil companies.
Your vehicle could actually run quite merrily on the strain of diesel used for heating buildings, though with much exhaust waste and a noticable difference in fumes. This grade is not a million miles from the product sold at the pump by your independant stations.When somebody is prepared to buy their derv from the big two (BP & Shell) the difference is clear. These companies now produce a very clean and efficient fuel which gives the engine less waste to actually process. It may cost a little more but in the long it's a saving. These firms have the operation sorted, with their tankers being cleaned every time they return to the distribution facility, even if they're re-filling with the same grade. Your other companies want a quick turn around, and so dirty heating oil remnants get mixed with supposedly clean diesel, and a right smelly broth results, just sniff up at the pump.
It's worth the extra 2p a litre to go with the big operators.

Also, I'm sure you know not to , but don't go for that pink stuff. No running difference, but an obvious red hue to your filter which will have Her Majesty's Customs & Excise in raptures.

Yours, playing it safe with petrol,
madmort

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I'm not running her yet but I'll be running on Shell for sure... run my old volvo on the petrol from Shell and the differnce is astounding compared to the cheap stuff Exclamation I actually go out of my way to buy the stuff!

But the old girl has twin tanks and I hope to be doing my bit for the environment via the old veg oil... Very Happy But starting and stopping + short trips will be with Shell... Very Happy

Oh and the article in LRO says that most diesel is 51 cetane? and shell is 55? no idea but might be the reason... Very Happy
sottie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saw a program about unsolved crime on BBC 1 this morning and they said that petrol can be traced to the company that sold it by what is in the petrol, so due to the refining process diesel must be the same Shocked with petrol my series runs better with tesco (whatever they sell!) than Shell. No go at all with Shell Evil or Very Mad
madmort

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm... interesting... Now I know a retired fella that used to work with a popular racing team in his time and he is a Diva when it comes to motors... Costs an arm and a leg to get anything done by him but thats not what we're here about...

He will look at your motor and tell you where you get your fuel from... he'll look at your cylinder head or spark plugs and tell you... Shocked this guy says if you buy cheap fuel then expect expensive repair bills in the long run Shocked He also noted that motors that don't like the better stuff need tuning or at least a good fiddle with... maybe thats the answer to you interesting point... Question
ExRCT
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try adding some Millers Diesel Sport 4! I buy supermarket fuel especially if they do 5p off a litre and add Millers, LROI have done a few reviews with positve results and I tend to agree. My 200 Tdi runs a little quieter, so much so even the wife noticed! It feels a bit more responsive too.
cinstone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For several years in a couple of different vehicles, petrol and diesel, I've noticed that they ran much more, shall I say "crisp" on Shell fuel than those that are available from certain supermarkets. Add to the fact that Shell diesel is the same price as one of those supernarkets by me, I always try to stick with Shell when I can.

Chris.
982KNN
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For christ's sake don't anyone try running a diesel on heating oil.

Apart from it being illegal, it's usually a Kerosene blend, with very few lubricating properties.

Will strip you're pump seals/innards nearly as quickly as high blends of petrol/diesel.

Mark

Past
1995 Shogun V6 ECI (with LPG) LWB
2007 Landrover Freelander 2 2.2 GS Diesel
Julio_Babucha
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here down in Spain, you do a better mileage with the Repsol Diesel e+10. With my Land Crusier and before that with my 200tdi Defender, it could easily be 5% more. The car has better response and less smoke.
a coley
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can only speak from my own experience. I had been using my local garage, a family run business selling an unbranded diesel. I was getting 270 miles on 50 litres from my Disco auto. When I was forced to change garage I started using an Esso garage. My mileage immediately went up to 330 miles on 50 litres of diesel. I mentioned this to the manager of the Esso garage on he said that there fuel cost more (actually the same) but is of a higher quality. From my own experience I can only agree. The Disco seems to run better to with more power.
Julio_Babucha
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
982KNN wrote:
For christ's sake don't anyone try running a diesel on heating oil.

Apart from it being illegal, it's usually a Kerosene blend, with very few lubricating properties.

Will strip you're pump seals/innards nearly as quickly as high blends of petrol/diesel.

Mark

Well, when I had my 200tdi Defender 90,(91-96) I was even poorer than now, and use to run on heating diesel that we use to "get-for-free" from a mate working in a hotel maintenance. In my opinion, it was normal diesel with a colouring product, getting it redish, I guess just for the tax controls on country roads. Why this? Just because in Spain, it use to be diesel for agriculutral machines that was less taxed than road cars/lorries diesel and had also a different colouring (I guess blueish), thus you could face controls on country roads, with the Guardia Civil and a taxman and a mechanic to extract diesel from the tank or at the pump intake... Now the "help or subvention" goes on the farmers taxsheet, so no more chaces to buy different diesel at pumps.
chuggernought
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
when running diesels i had a simple mantra, if it burns in it goes! thats the thing with an old 2 1/4 diesel they run on anything, modern engines wont and have to be pampered, they call they call this progress Rolling Eyes
2 1/4 petrols can run some pretty horrible stuff quite happily too, in some parts of africa they used to run them on home made fuels based on parafin, castor oil and meths.
a scrap yard near me has a small fleet of 110's for recovering cars in, all mid to late 90's era but with the tdi's(and 2 td5's) ripped out and old 2.5 petrols fitted, why? cause all the petrol,
diesel, engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, p/s fluid e.t.c. they drain from scrap cars goes into a huge tank, gets mixed up and the landies run on it all day long!
1985 rangerover/dakar v8(as yet unnamed)
1977 101 fc ambi v8 (mr boxy)
100" v8 hybrid (roargasm)
1949 series 1
daimler 4.0l(old smoothy)
Julio_Babucha
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
chuggernought wrote:
when running diesels i had a simple mantra, if it burns in it goes! thats the thing with an old 2 1/4 diesel they run on anything, modern engines wont and have to be pampered, they call they call this progress Rolling Eyes
2 1/4 petrols can run some pretty horrible stuff quite happily too, in some parts of africa they used to run them on home made fuels based on parafin, castor oil and meths.
a scrap yard near me has a small fleet of 110's for recovering cars in, all mid to late 90's era but with the tdi's(and 2 td5's) ripped out and old 2.5 petrols fitted, why? cause all the petrol,
diesel, engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, p/s fluid e.t.c. they drain from scrap cars goes into a huge tank, gets mixed up and the landies run on it all day long!

And old oil form the fish restaurants in Spain Smile
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My old 300Tdi Disco 1 used to perform much better on BP Ultimate diesel. A lot less smoke too! Due to the cost, i would only fill it up with the stuff before the MOT but at least it would ensure the emissions test didn't fail the old girl. Pity it can't help with rust... Rolling Eyes Sad

Rich.

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Server Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a small point I'd like add to this debate having spent many years working in the petrochemical industry. Yes there are slight differences between brands, but the refining process has to conform to set standards within a given tolerance. The chemical makeup of the fuel is lab tested on a regular basis during production and it's all basically the same in the U.K.
Some additives such as detergents and silicates are added to fuels very late on in the process - in fact this happens just before it goes to the on-site storage tanks.
Most of the supermarket delivery trucks collect road fuel from the nearest refinery or oil depot. Bunsfield oil depot (where the big fire was) received various fuels from various refineries by long distance pipeline, so you can't really be sure where it came from.
As the additives have a different density than the fuel itself, the best fuel is usually obtained from busy forecourts as they have a regular turnround of fresh fuel and it doesn't get a chance to separate out in the storage tanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Product Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: