club approved list of testers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

compile a list of club approved MOT testers?
yes
88%
 88%  [ 16 ]
no
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: club approved list of testers? Reply with quote
Chuggers' suggested compiling a list of MOT testers recommended by members nationwide. This would be a list of testers known to be sensible, safe & reliable but not necessarily easy. Thoughts?

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's a good idea. It shows those testers with the necessary experience of landies as opposed to those whose experience is more modern car-based... Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
trx
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A fine idea we could also have a list of testers to stay away from at nearly 50 a go its a dear do.
Dave
frank
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it is a good idea, I have a teaster we use for all our vehicles, and he will and has failed a vehicle, but will try and make sure they pass by fixing small faults if he can. he also likes the older Land Rovers, he gave me a pile of spares once which he had found in the store room.
Any way we could have teh list that not a problem, but like everything else the club doese it needs the help of the members to make it work and ther is already a list of approved suppliers in the magazine every month
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so really we need a bit more uptake from members to make this worthwhile..come on people!! Show us you care Very Happy. Frank, I have 2 ideas: we could put up a topic & members just post the name & address of their preferred test station (could get long & messy) OR members could email them to you & then it's at your discretion whether they are put on the forum or magazine. Any other ideas welcome! Thoughts?

Membership No. 6696
Gordon
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd say yes, and No. The problem is, you often need a specific person, not just a test centre. Also, it's a question of what sort of MOT you want... Personally, although I want my beast to pass, and I know Landy's are a bit different, I also want 100% safety - whereas some people seem to want a bit more leeway? I think its slightly risky for the club to make such a reccomendation, because there is such a risk of comeback to the club -or individual- who made the reccomendation, if the tester/centre is too far once way or the other...
www.thelandroverclub.net
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trx
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good points there Gordon,i would not want a sub-standard mot on my cars and reccomend a station to others that was seen as an easy pass.
I think what we need to know is the mot stations that are Land-Rover friendly and know what they are looking at.
At my first mot test he wanted to fail mine on a hole that had been drilled in the seat box because it was near the seat-belt fittings.
And he mentioned my Colway remolds where not good on a four wheel drive vehicle.
But i take my Saab there every year and he loves it (big euro-box)and he knows what he is looking at.
Dave
chuggernought
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
many trike clubs have approved lists of trike friendly testers, because most mot stations dont know what they are or just refuse to look at them cause they are different, well a lot of our our land rovers are different or modified even if only mildly and the same applies.
1985 rangerover/dakar v8(as yet unnamed)
1977 101 fc ambi v8 (mr boxy)
100" v8 hybrid (roargasm)
1949 series 1
daimler 4.0l(old smoothy)
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the interest. All the thoughts for and against are valid and I've had a think and come up with 3 ideas.

1: Risk to members making a recommendation - no members names should be included; just a list divided into geographical areas with the testers in alphabetical order within each section.

2: Risk to the club - A disclaimer waiving responsibility is added at the top of the list in clear view.

3: Land Rover friendly as opposed to easy - Contributing members are invitied to add testers they have found to be knowledgeable and land rover friendly. This can't be policed as it's open to individual perception but I was thinking that if people use a recommended test station and complaints start to come in, then that station/tester should be removed.

Any thoughts or comments welcome Very Happy

Membership No. 6696
frank
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree.
We the club is just passing on names, we already do that for memebrs who have offered discounts to other members but we do not recommend them as being the best.
I would never want a pass because the tester is missing something, OK if a bulb as just blown the person I gon to wuold just change it and either charge or not, and he as adjusted headlights for me I need vehicles on the road which are SAFE
34HF90
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about a quick word with your testing man first? Something along the lines of..

'would you mind having more Land Rovers to test?'.

Might sound a bit silly to even ask, but a lot can be gauged by his reaction...
a. 'Blimey mate, no chance. I was just doing you a favour

or

b. 'No problem, we know what they are

Think it would be good to get them into the loop in a way. They then know what we want, and we understand not to take the....

It all adds up to safe vehicles anyway, and keeps our trucks on the road. Smile

MTR Welding
TonyP
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a few comments & thoughts I'd like to add.

My Landi has just passed it's first MoT under my ownership - it's 20 years old so not as old as many of yours, but I still worried as to whether it would pass given all the work I & others have done on it since buying it last year. Phew!!

So, I took it to a Station that I know is reasonable & fair (but will fail vehicles!) as it has been prepared & happy in the past to MoT unusual vehicles.
Why - it is the Station I use for my 'kit' car. It's (she) not 'Q' plated but retains it's 1969 registation. She is also on DVLA by it's proper make name, rather than the Donor (the change reduced the number of times I got stopped by the Police!) - the make being an 'NG TF'. So you will realise my problem with MoTing was really really really bad - in the early days MoT failures for stupid things, or not prepared to MoT because 'never seen one of these mate!'.

So:
- 'Yes' to a list
- 'Yes' to disclaimers (we are in a litigation world!; the Club must not be seen to be 'approving' the list)
- 'Yes' to the list only in full memebrs area
- need an expiry period for an entry, say 2 years?

And finally from the MOT Stations prospective we must ensure there is no hint that they are 'soft' as I'm sure DVLA will come down on them with a ton of bricks and thus spoil what we are trying to achieve - fair MoT'ing by Stations that understand old Land Rovers.

Sorry this is a bit long but... Now need to have a rest!

Tony
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with all the 'Yes' comments above. The reason I would recommend my perticular place is the fact that one of the testers owns an immaculate 2A, they know the 'foibles' of Land Rovers (military 6 way light switches etc) and certainly use a Tapley Meter for brake testing of 4WD vehicles.

Nige

100" of pure TD5 pleasure

Member No. 3220
ady1
Really Should Get Out More
Really Should Get Out More

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smile with regards to mot testing place's.there are several ways to save money Very Happy and get the test done right.firstly most local council's have a mot test bay but do not have repair facilitys.less likely to fail your vehicle.then there are the garages that don't charge the earth to do the test.more of a chance of a fail,but will probably cost more to repair as this is how they make their money Rolling Eyes .so it sometimes pays to shop around Wink
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone, thanks again for all the comments & feedback. To summarise people's thoughts so far read below:
1. A disclaimer is placed to waive all responsibility from the club.
2. Contributing members may like to check with the tester / station if they would like to be placed on a list . Also testers / stations should be recommended on their knowledge of / tolerance & friendliness towards land rovers.
3. Contributing members will remain annonymous.
4. Access to the list will be for full members only.
5. Testers / stations receiving consistently poor feedback / complaints will be removed from the list.
6. List expiry - Reminder to be sent to all full members inviting them to re-submit contributions to the list annually or every two years (any ideas as to how long? I'm swinging towards annually personally).

The next query: where would people like to see this list? Personally, I think a section on the forum open to full members. Any thoughts & comments welcome as always!

Membership No. 6696
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: