Military 6 Way Switches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // All Ex Military Vehicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Military 6 Way Switches Reply with quote
Following a couple of enquiries in other threads, I've got a link that explains things on series vehicles.

See here and here

The first one is the wiring diagram that can be accessed through the 2nd link. Don't be put off by the references to Lightweights, the wiring's broadly the same. There is a solution to the 'Lucas, Prince of Darkness' invoking IR Switch in the last para on the wiring diagram.

Nige

100" of pure TD5 pleasure

Member No. 3220
Canyonero
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Nige, Thanks for the quick response and new discussion, I didn't want to hijack someone else's queries.

I turned on the six way switch and the head lights came on, although reluctantly, in HST mode, with IR both and off, the horn worked, the head lights flashed, and tail lights, plate illuminator, head lights, and the clear top lights up front worked. (I always thought the little clear lights turned off when the head lights were switched fully on, but, I may be wrong) This all started when I was trying to replace the gauge illumination bulb on the dash, which I also have a question about. So for now almost everything is working as it should be, the right side flashers weren't working with the hazards, but that may have remedied itself as well, if not, I'll post about it.

Is it even worth trying to illuminate the speedo and such? Is there a place to plug in a bulb? I got a set of screw in bulbs from a place here in the States, but can't figure out where they go.
Sorry for the long post, just trying to get her running right, and electronics aren't what I'm good at.
Thanks
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Canyonero wrote:
(I always thought the little clear lights turned off when the head lights were switched fully on, but, I may be wrong)

Sidelights should illuminate in the ST, HST and Side/Convoy positions

Canyonero wrote:
Is it even worth trying to illuminate the speedo and such? Is there a place to plug in a bulb? I got a set of screw in bulbs from a place here in the States, but can't figure out where they go.

Damn, I can't remember either, but yes it is worth trying to illuminate the speedo.

Canyonero wrote:
This all started when I was trying to replace the gauge illumination bulb on the dash, which I also have a question about. So for now almost everything is working as it should be, the right side flashers weren't working with the hazards, but that may have remedied itself as well, if not, I'll post about it.

You appear to have appeased the Prince without sacrificing anything. Now just replace those bulbs in the speedo and don't touch that IR switch. Laughing

Anymore questions just ask.

Nige

Member No. 3220
Canyonero
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, we'll have to see what the future holds. I did manage to replace the bulb behind the speedo, so that answered one question, but the wires lead to a broken switch, so I'll have to try to get a new one and see if works given the PO's wiring scheme.
Thanks, I'm sure I'll have many more questions.
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should have a seperate switch for instrument illumination. However, if you leave it 'On' the instrument lights will go out when the 6 way switch is turned off. Quite why the switch is there, I have no idea.

Nige

Member No. 3220
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would just like to add credit for the wiring diagrams to 'Disco2003' off the EMLRA Forum. He has produced an amazing website with a wealth of info for the Lightweight and Ex Mil S3 owner.

Nige

Member No. 3220
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // All Ex Military Vehicles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum