Which Colour - I can't decide...Help!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favourite colour for a 88" with Safari Roof?
Marine Blue
26%
 26%  [ 10 ]
Bronze Green
36%
 36%  [ 14 ]
Masai Red
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Pastel Green
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Mid Grey
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Limestone
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 38

arc_eyes
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is an interesting article in the November issue of Land Rover Owner International where someone painted a 110 in "1984 Russet Brown" making it an S3 colour.

Myself if it was Marine Blue/Limestone originally I would just keep it.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe lots of early 110s left the factory russet brown (with go faster stripes) - just do a google image search for 'russet brown 110' and you'll see plenty of them. The 110 was introduced in 1983 and overlapped with Series 3 production. Russet Brown was one of the five colours available for the early County range.
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine was always DBG but had it been me, Marine Blue or Grey every time. Only 'cos DBG is so damned predictable.

It'd be like getting a 50 car garage and only filling it with Ferraris. Nice and all that, and what a problem to have, but demonstrates a distinct lack of imagination.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I once stayed with friends on Long Island, New York - the entire ground floor of the house next door was a garage - for the owner's collection of Porsches.

My green Stage 1 left the factory grey - the interior still is, but the exterior has been 4 different colours/shades since. I'd like to return it to grey (as much because I like it as for originality - actually more so) but the colour of the vehicle's a low priority compared to say a galvanised chassis.
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
the entire ground floor of the house next door was a garage - for the owner's collection of Porsches.

Don't you want to spend your evenings with that bloke?

Of all the things too? Let's think about that for a mo' For a split second it sounds great. However, minded to a wallet clearly thick enough to choose a garage full of pretty much anything, the aforementioned garage gets filled with Porsches? And still more Porsches?

Oh dear god.

But colour also comes down to the rims. I think I'm right in saying ex-factory, most left with limestone rims, but rims in body-colour looks good too.

I think S1 & S2 were more likely to be DBG, and often had DBG rims to go with. Mid grey wth Mid grey rims I can see, whereas Marine Blue with Marine Blue rims I can't.

Of course, we should insist g*yspokes and other shonk be white. Else, before the penny drops and the knuckle-draggers shove them on eBay for 60 a set with no takers, if they're not white, it's too easy to miss them for all their magnificence.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't you want to spend your evenings with that bloke?

Shocked Nope

Quote:
But colour also comes down to the rims. I think I'm right in saying ex-factory, most left with limestone rims, but rims in body-colour looks good too.

I think white looks ok on my Stage Ones - that's how I bought them (the wheels). I hate painting wheels - I (re)painted 4 or 5 limestone, doing one each winter 'cos I loathed the chore so much - what a waste of time, since I've sold 3 of them now.

Quote:
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Oh dear, that's me out of business then.
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed if you're going for concours, it'd be lotsa work.

Me? I did a set quite recently. Done 'barnyard' thus brushed with limestone, and a quick wire-brush mounted on a drill first, took me about an hour, and then another 20 mins to do a second coat. There's runs in it, flecks and drips etc, but I don't like my wagon too precious. Certainly now it's got its customary grubbiness, brake-dust to finish, it looks like it was always that way.

I think the floppy-hat crowd might call it shabby-chic. Cynics would number it as bone-idle/ cheapskate.

Three disposible 3/4" brushes did it for me.

I'm not sure if money no object, a pro-sprayer would be any better.
It's possible to try too hard. Less is more. With all the other patina and dinks, as it stands - it fits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: