Weber Carb float chamber corrosion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Overhauled original Zenith or another Weber?
Overhauled Zenith - old is gold; Land Rover knew what they were about
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Get a Weber back on there & stick with evolution!
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Weber Carb float chamber corrosion Reply with quote
I don't know whether anyone remembers, but during the spring of last year I posted these photo's of my Weber carb:

It all started when I moved down here to West Wilts. The symptoms were an occasional cough and hesitancy that escalated into stalling under load. On inspection, the above was discovered.

I know of only one other person that has experienced this - he had a Weber on a Fiat Spider and had exactly the same issue. I had wondered whether it was perhaps down to the hygroscopic nature of Ethanol, but since nobody else seems to have suffered this, that idea has been knocked on the head.

Since last spring the carb has continued to suffer the same symptoms with increasing frequency, despite being cleaned each time the issue rears it's head. I've come to the conclusion it must be bad casting and the corrosion isn't isolated to the float chamber.

So I've come to the decision to refit my Zenith. Mine's a very late one. I think it must have come off the 90/110 that my bulkhead (and I suspect my ex-mil engine & gearbox) came from. It's fairly good with very little wear, but I've ordered an overhaul kit anyway.

Goodbye 25MPG! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Seriously though, it'll be interesting to compare a reconditioned Zenith to the Weber 34ICH (which up until now I really rated!). I remember with the Zenith I had slightly uneven tick over and it wasn't as nippy as with the Weber.

Anyone else been in the position of being able to compare an overhauled original Zenith to a Weber? Thoughts?

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For any one that's curious enough to read on about this, here's an update:

The Weber is off and chucked in a corner in absolute disgust and the now overhauled Zenith is back on. It ticks over evenly, pulls like a train up hills, accelerates.... slowly.... does what it's meant to, but it doesn't really dazzle me..... Rolling Eyes

So I've had another change in direction..... I've now laid my hands on a SU with adaptor and linkages, so that'll be going on instead.

I'll report back once it's on.....

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: