Gearbox change.....which make of clutch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a coley
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Gearbox change.....which make of clutch? Reply with quote
Hi guys. I've got to do a gearbox swap on my 109. Its stock 2.25 petrol and gearbox. I'm doing a clutch swap at the same time. I was wondering which make of clutch is the best to use. My local garage said Borg & Beck weren't as a good as they used to be, so which make do you guys recommend or is Borg still ok? I've always used Borg in the past on all cars I've had to do a swap. Thank you in advance.
pcb2286
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon,

The 'AP Driveline' OEM clutches sold by many of the usual Land Rover parts suppliers are fine in my experience. A quick read-around suggests they have some connection to Borg and Beck - either a re-name or buy-out involved.

Some suppliers still have stock supplied by Land Rover themselves - you'll pay a premium for these, though.

Phil
a coley
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for replying.

AP or Britpart seem to be the ones supplied. I'd rather spend a bit more and be sure of what I fit. Hopefully a good quality one will last the distance so I'll probably be going down the AP route unless anyone knows better.

Has anyone fitted the heavy duty release bearing or is the OEM one good enough?

Thanks again
Brian
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I can remember AP clutches were made by Borg & Beck, AP is now part of the Delphi group. Lockheed brakes which used to be part of AP group are now part of Caparo if they haven't recently gone bust.

Although Borg & Beck are still going and manufacturing clutches, it has now become impossible to buy other brands made by the original companies we had become used to you and trusted, nowadays pays your money and takes your chance.
a coley
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Brian. I've always believed in buying the best you can afford. Smile
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had a Borg & Beck put in mine earlier this year and no complaints as yet. Now the gearbox it's attached to........................

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a clutch change about 6 years ago. I put a Lockheed kit in mine. At the time Paddocks were doing a deal on them. My Series is a high mileage, daily driver and that clutch kit has behaved perfectly.

Part of the kit was a thrust bearing which, when it arrived turned out to be Britpart. I usually avoid Britpart like the plague, but against my better judgment I went with it. Surprisingly, it has held up very well. When my gearbox had to come out due to failure recently, a new thrust bearing went in as a matter of course, but the bearing that was removed was actually in perfect condition Shocked

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
Brian
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A lot of components are bought in bulk and repackaged in own brand boxes and it's possible to buy exactly the same part from 3 different suppliers at 3 different prices. You will sometimes find a trusted brand but in a blue box other times it could be a Chinese copy. Nowadays with well known companies being split up and divisions sold off meaning that some well known names are not really what they used to be. I always say buy the best you can afford, it may turn out to be rubbish but at least you should get some sort of warranty with it. I don't knock Britpart, they do provide value for your money and I have some of their products on my Series 3, but I don't accept their products without checking out what else is available. It's okay to ask for a box to be opened before you buy something. That is one of the reasons I will buy over the counter whenever possible. I do get worried when I hear people asking if there is a cheaper alternative, more so when talking about brake components or a simple part that could involve a huge job to replace should it fail.
a coley
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for the replies. Some interesting points made about companies changing hands. I think you have to read forums and listen to friends as to what's good and what's to be avoided. Many thanks guys
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
A lot of components are bought in bulk and repackaged in own brand boxes and it's possible to buy exactly the same part from 3 different suppliers at 3 different prices. You will sometimes find a trusted brand but in a blue box other times it could be a Chinese copy.

This is very true. Even original Land Rover parts have been known to turn up in blue boxes. For me personally I've had a lot of bad luck with the quality of blue box parts that I've used in the past and this is why I now give them such a wide berth. On the other hand, I know people that have never had a single problem with anything in a blue box!

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: