The dangers of gumtree....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slow Progress
Really Should Get Out More

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: The dangers of gumtree.... Reply with quote
It was just before Christmas that my better half introduced me to Gumtree, and I began browsing seeing if we could shift an electric fire when completely randomly I stumbled upon old landys for sale.

Then new year came and after some alcohol I made an enquiry and somehow ended up with a deposit paid sight unseen...on an ancient landy!!!, obviously I must be heading for my mid life crisis as I didn't even check where it was located.

So last Friday after a 4hr drive there I turned up at a dilapidated shed of a car dealers and found myself poking holes in a bulkhead with a screwdriver and still buying it with a fair amount of discount (advertised as a solid bulkhead).

I still don't have it yet, as it has no papers other than a V5 and an MoT, it looks like its done 500 miles in the past 10 years.It's getting put on a trailer today and taken to Churchill 4x4 for a complete service so I get a known starting point, and to see if the bulkhead is salvageable or I need to start saving up the pennies for a new one. Hopefully 1 or 2 weeks from now it'll be back here......that only leaves me the gate to knock down to get it into the garage, and the stack of logs we just had delivered!!!!!!!!!!

1976 series 3 109" station wagon 6 cylinder.....the one which has a drink problem!
kmax990
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The dangers of alcohol you mean Smile

Welcome - let us know how you get on.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi and welcome along.....alcohol and ebay don't mix either Surprised

So what is it? Series 3? SWB or LWB? 90 or 110? Diesel or Petrol? Post up some pics I bet everyone would like to see what you have let yourself in for!!

When you do get it back and get started there are plenty on here ready to offer good advice so feel free to ask away when required.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, just saw your other posts, so it's a 1976 6 cylinder Surprised I'll lend you my V8 when you feel like an economical journey Wink

You are correct, very rare these days, particularly in CSW form, as a lot were pickups.

Is this it per chance?

1976 6 Cyl CSW by Adrian Tyler, on Flickr
Slow Progress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spot on, with interesting internal layout!, all pop riveted in place.

The dealer tells me it's been a gun bus for the last decade on a country estate, when he got it it came with a 2ft height extension which is why the back door has the remains of some sort of epoxy on it where the metal work was attached.......and now why there is silicon sealant all the way round between the roof and the body!.

Real color is blue of some sort, also the respiratory was very interesting as under the rear seats the starting handle is painted (and stuck) to the floor.......you'd have thought they could have lifted it out first
Shocked

1976 series 3 109" station wagon 6 cylinder.....the one which has a drink problem!
Slow Progress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Curse you spell check!, that should rad respray not respiratory

Slow Progress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
He'd had it for sale since June last year and couldn't shift it. Also note no glass in the back right of the photo, not a problem apart from all of the windows barring the front two have been puttied in place, so a pig to get clear and refit without breaking the glass.

The bulkhead has "issues" on the top offside front corner (it's bulging and the screwdriver went through), the opposite side not as bad but the small piece of metal (no idea what its called) protruding from the bulkhead has rotted through, and the inside next to the A-pillar has just started to go. I'll get Churchill's 4x4's assessment of repairable, or new early next week. If the latter i'd best start saving the pennies!.

On the bright side the chassis whilst patched is fairly solid as it's not been on the roads other than for MoT tests the entire time, I couldn't get the screwdriver through any of it, even on top of the box section.

Does anyone know what the top speed might be as it has no overdrive, 45mph or higher?

So starts the adventure.

Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks great! 6 pots sound gorgeous. Have a look on DVLA site, it will tell you how many 2.6 CSW are currently being taxed....bet it's not a lot!
Geoff Che
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome along Slowprogress.

So, a new stack of logs, eh? Is that for a wood burning stove or just the standard fireplace?

Good luck
Geoff Wink

It is only those who do nothing that make no mistakes.
Slow Progress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was going to try and use the logs as an alternative fuel source, and see how many miles per log I could get Very Happy (woodburning stove really, although I have seen the steam powered series 3 on youtube....)

DVLA says about 700 or so of all shapes with 6cyl still registered and licensed and a further c.1600 SORN'd, so no idea how many CSW's are left with 6cyl's but less than I'd thought.

Now I'm just waiting for the chancellor of the exchequer to call me and thank me for my upcoming contribution to reducing the national debt through fuel tax contributions.....

Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi and welcome to the forum.

At least your gas guzzler should be tax free sometime this year (or early next year).

I am fairly sure that sankey did a custom fitted fuel bowser for their trailers - if you search around, you may find one that you can tow behind Very Happy

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know I said DVLA, however I meant to say here..

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/land_rover_109_-_6_cyl

It says 176 licensed and 397 Sorned.....so 573 total, not counting vehicles that are not either, ie, locked up somewhere for more than 10 years unaccounted for.

So where on the DVLA site did you find data for 2300 vehicles?
Slow Progress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the same site, google took me straight to it, but I'd read those numbers as quarterly so just multiplied them up by 4, but as you say the station wagons will be less.

Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure it is counted like that? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

In the licensed column for example in 2006 there were 332 licensed.
In 2007 there were 304
In 2008 when the SORN system started there were 292 in Q3 and 276 in Q4.
Then in 2009, Q1: 267, Q2: 264, Q3: 254 and Q4: 260.

All similar numbers but dropping slowly as you would expect as more get SORNED/scrapped or re-licensed with alternative engines.

If you count it using your method the licensed vehicles for the years would go like this:

2006: 332
2007: 304
2008: 568
2009: 1045

I doubt that between 2007 and 2009, 741 6 cylinder Land Rovers were brought out of slumber and licensed. Isn't it the total number of licensed vehicles each time but just recorded every quarter?
Slow Progress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting, just had another look.

The earlier years only reported numbers on a one quarter basis, so I guess you'd have to compare Q4 to Q4 in future years for the nearest comparator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: